Thursday, August 30, 2007

Split Personality

I recently went on a tour of the McAllen Building, designed by Office DA, in South Boston. A group of architects from my office were taken to tour this new "green" apartment building and shown around by a real Estate Agent who had no idea what he was getting into. The model unit we were shown was a sloping 2 bedroom unit with an asking price of 1.5M dollars and a direct view of the remnants of the big dig.

The design of this building reminded me of another home of a different kind. Steven Holl's Y House located in the remote Catskill Mountains in New York.
City living has it's benefits but you be the judge: (Y House at left McAllen right)

At $400,000 building price the Y House looks like a bargain. Looking at the latest and greatest in apartment living and actually owning real estate made me think about what I really want. I love the city, the people, and the culture but I also love nature, solitude, and relaxation. I don't believe in a middle ground so for the time being I will live in the city and visit the country and one day, maybe when I want to own or build something it will be the reverse.

All photos from the Mcallen tour were taken by *girl and these are not the best shots.

No comments: